Wednesday, January 24, 2007

do·mes·tic·i·ty

n. pl. do·mes·tic·i·ty /[doh-me-stis-i-tee]

1. the state of being domestic; domestic or home life.
2. a domestic or household act, activity, duty, or chore.
3. The quality or condition of being domestic.
4. Home life or devotion to it.
5. domesticities Household affairs.

Domesticity translated in other languages:

Arabic:حياةٌ عائِلِيَّه
Chinese (Simplified): 对于家庭生活的爱好,家庭生活
Chinese (Traditional): 對於家庭生活的愛好,家庭生活
Czech: rodinný život
Danish: familieliv; hjemmeliv
Dutch: huiselijkheid
Estonian: kodune elu
Finnish: kotielämä
French: vie de famille
German: die Häuslichkeit
Greek: νοικοκυροσύνη
Hungarian: családi élet
Icelandic: heimilisrækni
Indonesian: kehidupan rumah tangga
Italian: vita familiare
Spanish: vida casera

Domesticity should be an innate quality for all females. It should be programmed in each of us, I unfortunately missed that training session and have found that learning the art of domesticity is much harder than I had originally anticipated.

I tried to be domestic. It was really quite entertaining for all involved. I got the urge (believe it or not) to cook some treats (i.e. bread, cookies, basically anything), but soon realized when you don't do these things often (cook, bake) it is difficult to find the necessary ingredients in the cabinet.

My cooking urge started Sunday with a desire to make homemade bread. We got a bread machine for Christmas, so I thought it would be easy. I opened the book to find that the main ingredients were: eggs (which I didn't have), bread machine yeast (WHAT is that?) and unsalted butter (you mean that unsalted butter is different than margarine ?!) After realizing that my dream of making bread that night was not going to happen, I glided through my cookbook in attempt to find something else I could try out. VOILA...desserts. Perfecto, I thought...that should be fun. I found a great brownie dessert, unfortunately the main ingredients were eggs and unsalted butter (has anyone else ever heard of this stuff?!) I am sure most domestic people have, need I remind you that I am the antithesis of domestic. I came to terms with the bread and was understanding, I started to get slightly frustrated with the brownies, but still kept my cool. I moved on to cake cookies, because I have maybe 1,000 boxes of cake mix at home (not really sure why..I don't eat cake.) PERFECT! I don't need unsalted butter, margarine works just fine. Oil...check, Eggs...NOOOOO! At this point my calm and collective self started to loathe domesticity.

With that said, I went to the store Tuesday night and stocked up on: cornstarch (don't know what it is or what it does, but I am sure that one day I will need it), baking soda, baking powder (don't mix these two up when cooking. I did it once when making baking powder biscuits, I accidentally put baking soda in instead of baking powder...they were horrible!) flour, sugar, brown sugar, shake n' bake (thought it might spice up some boring chicken) and fresh green beans. It was a delightful trip and very fulfilling. I tried to buy some pork, but again I am not domestic and I don't know the tricks of picking out good pork. First, I don't even like pork, but I know I should probably eat it and secondly, I have never bought meat. I don't know what is good and what is bad? If it is a light color is that what I want? Do I want it more pink?

I guess I am done ranting and raging about my lack of domesticity. The next time I post about this stuff I will be a regular Martha Stuart.

2 comments:

mandy said...

I've been hit with the domestic urges, too! It must have something to do with being newly married ... I've started cooking and hope to start sewing, too. What's wrong with me?!?

katiey424 said...

Hey! It's Katie Young-Young! I found your blog:)

This post was great. I love to cook and bake but my favorite thing is shortcuts like already baked pizza dough, stouffer lasagnas, and those rotissiere style chickens always ready at Kroger. :)